Friday, April 18, 2008

Dear Ex-Lover:

I still remember some things. I remember the golden hair on your arms, the way you held a fork, your ineptitude with hair product, your crappy taste in music, your cocky driving, your favourite spot at the zoo, the hoodie I bought for you but always stole for myself.



I remember some things very well, but it's the things that I don't remember that matter the most.



I forget what it was like to kiss you, really kiss you.



I forget what you sound like. I can't remember your voice.



I forget how listening to our song used to make me feel, how it was to dance in your arms.



I forget why I thought you were the one;

why we'd always be together;

why I loved

so.

damned.

hard.



I'd meant to stay in love with you, together or apart. I had such good intentions. But life gets in the way. I've lived. I've lived so much without you that it takes my breath away. I kept going; life kept going. It swept me away. I've been swept away, and not by you. Not this time. Not anymore.



I'm forgetting you little by little.

It's sad in a way. Terrifying. Healing. Soothing. Empowering.

I'm saying goodbye.

I'm gone.












...




I guess you don't get to break my heart after all.

4 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you haven't heard it already, check out "On Grafton Street" by Nanci Griffith.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Jay said...

I haven't heard it, but can't find it.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger kimber said...

Nice. Familiar, in a frightening way. Empowering, in the best way possible. Made me think, has it been that long between my ex and me? Why, yes, it has... thank god.

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npaG55vfe9c

 

Post a Comment

<< Home