Monday, March 05, 2007

Song For A Muse

I wipe the page clean
Or fill it up with absurdities
I sit with pen to paper
Or wear the carpet thin with pacing
And the muse, she does not come.

I could see new people places faces
I could drink my weight in gin
Inject liquid creativity into my vein
Cut myself just to see me bleed
And still, she would not come

If I broke and saddled the beast within
If I scissored open the silver lining
Fucked over all my inhibitions
Unshackled the savage inside my head
Even then she would not come.

Be a dirty girl or straight and chaste
Travel the world or live in solitude
Starve myself or stuff my face
Vulnerable or showing only strength
She doesn't care; she will not come.

I may seduce the ink
I may open my mind
Find the sweet spot
Chase the elusive thought
It makes no difference to the muse.

Engaged or disengaged
Celebrating or lost in grief
Capable or emptied out
Alone or with my shadow
The muse, she does not come.

14 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Pawlie Kokonuts said...

But, alas, she did make a cameo, if only for one poem.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Catherine said...

Since you were so uninhibited in this post, I feel compelled to follow your lead... Dude. This is fucking awesome.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Di Mackey said...

Erica Jong move over ... love this poem, just so you know.

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger iamnasra said...

I can not thank you enough for taking time to visit my blog, it allowed me to be here - The muse only shows up on her own time that is what I have been told

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, came by to welcome you to the novel racers and was blown away by your poem :-)

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger keed said...

i identified with this big time.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Michael K. Willis said...

Ah the fickle muse...I curse her name when she does not deign to visit me and fawn endlessly when she does :-)

Excellent poem

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hello and welcome to the novel race. Although given your amazing output levels, I expect you'll overtake us all!

 
At 3:58 AM, Blogger nash said...

Oh I think she heard you...

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Helen said...

Hey Jay - thanks for popping over to my blog - thought I would have a nosy on yours now...

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Winston said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Jane Henry said...

wow what a poem, Jay. Blimey.

Don't know what else to say.

Did try to post on your other blog but couldn't for some reason

love jane

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

Wow!! Beauty.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Stu said...

The muse just wants to be shown a good time like the rest of us...

(nice poem)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home